The Gang

Freel & Neva Ringkob, Roy & Ethel Bute, 
Otto & Lillie Holt, Esther & Tom Ringkob, 
Nedra & Swede Weseman, Hazel & Nels Hauge (1958)
A group of friends that got together regularly was called “The Gang”. These six families also celebrated wedding anniversaries and birthdays. The “Gang” or part of the “Gang” got together regularly from 1936 to 1970.

The women helped with graduation celebrations, bridal showers and weddings for each other’s children.

I have fond memories of getting together with the “Gang”. Even though there were no other children my age, I always enjoyed it. I can still vividly picture in my mind the inside of each of the homes of the “Gang” members. The men and women would have a full evening of visiting and sometimes a game plus a meal (picnic during the summer months). All six women in the “Gang” were wonderful cooks!

Mom also belonged to the Alpha Friendship Club. This was a women’s group that met once a month in the afternoon. They took turns hosting the get-together at their homes. The name comes from a small town close to our farm - Alpha, MN - most of the women lived in the Alpha, Jackson or Sherburn area. Mom began attending this group in 1944 and they continued getting together for over 40 years. I frequently went with Mom when I was young and they always made me feel welcome. When I think back on it, I guess I was the youngest in my family and most of the other women in this group had older children - so I was a “tag-along” and got lots of adult social experiences at a young age! The hostess would usually get out some puzzles, books or games for me to play with while the women visited but allowed me to be “all grown-up” as a pre-schooler and let me eat the afternoon lunch (fancy sandwiches, dessert) on the nice china or glass dessert sets. -Marita

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Start post reversal code -->